Using your kits and introducing some mixed media into your layouts

Hey everyone!
Can you believe we are a couple of days away from September? That's Crazy!

For my first layout from the July/August quirky kit I thought I'd mix things up a little bit (you may have noticed I like to do this)
Mixed media has taken the crafting world by storm whether it be simply using paints and inks or something a little more time consuming and messy, like using gesso and texture paste.
Now I am no expert by any means and still class myself as a noob when dabbling in mixed media..but every now and then I like to have a go (it is the only way to learn right?)
So here is my layout, what I used and how I came up with the end result.

Items Used

From the Main Kit:

  • Bazzill Roselle Cardstock
  • Pink Paislee Take Me Away #13 Patterned Paper
  • Pink Paislee Take Me Away Wood Veneer Embellishment Pack
  • Photoplay Fun with Friends Rosettes Patterned Paper

From the Lite Kit:

  • Kaisercraft Butterfly Stickers Pack

From the Embellishment Kit:

  • Freckled Fawn 32 Puffy Star Stickers
  • MAMBI Sticks My Life stickers
  • Dear Lizzy Good Vibes Thickers
 How I created my layout
I started by using a rose heart stencil I had cut from my Silhouette onto card. You can find the stencil here: I then used some of my liquitex texture paste and a plastic art spatula and scraped the texture paste over the stencil picking up the excess paste with the spatula scraping it a few times. I then picked up the stencil and repeated the process in a diagonal pattern. Once this had dried I made up a couple of mists using Martha Stewart pearlescent paints and water in a small mini mister bottle and sprayed over the hearts. I picked up the excess paint by dabbing it with a paper towel and then using the hairdryer (because I'm impatient) to dry the rest. Please note this does warp your paper a little bit and I should have used some gesso first. When I had got my desired look I set about adhering the butterflies where I wanted them. I folded the butterflies in half and used a tiny bit of super strong red liner tape just on the thorax so the wings were dimensional and stood off the paper somewhat.
I then set to work matting and laying my photo. I wanted to make a colourful layout and I find a black and white photo always stands out more when doing this.
I first matted my photo onto the Bazzill Roselle Cardstock then onto the Photoplay Fun with Friends Rosette patterned paper and finally I cut apart the pink and yellow part of the Pink Paislee Take me Away #13 patterned paper (B side)
I then began to embellish. I started with my title. I used the Pink Paislee Take me Away wood veneer arrow and heart embellishments, putting the heart on the rosette paper and drew around it and adhered it to the heart (I love to paper piece) Then using the Dear Lizzy Good Vibes thickers I spelled out my Love Us title, loving the way the bold black letters help to bring in the black butterflies too.
Finally using some more of that gorgeous rosette paper I cut 3 strips and attached one of the Freckled Fawn puffy star stickers to the end of each one.
TA DAAAA! Layout complete!
I panicked with my stencilling and texture paste a bit whilst I was doing it and messed up a little in the bottom right hand corner, but you can't see it cause that's where my photo went (even I mess up lol) but remember we can always cover it up and sometime our mistakes can be happy mistakes...meaning they could actually improve our layouts in a way we hadn't intended.

I hope you like my layout and feel adventurous enough to try your hand at using some mixed media with your quirky kits.
Until my next post, Happy Scrappin Everyone x

No comments:

Post a Comment